Arizona Youth Ballet was recently featured on Sonoran Living (@sonoranliving) and Ms. Christina and one of our talented dancers, Ava, were interviewed by Terri Ouellette about the program. Valley Toyota Dealers also awarded AZYB with a $500 gift card to help support our program and dancers! This recognition is part of their “Helping Kids Go Places” campaign and we are honored to be a part! See the interview below:
Congratulations to Principal Michelle Fricker! Michelle has been accepted to the dance program at the University of Arizona! Michelle was also awarded the honor of a Full Merit Scholarship! This is a great opportunity for Michelle and we know she will do great things! We are excited for her and so proud for her for all her hard work!
Congrats to Victoria Bennett! Victoria has been a long time member of Arizona Youth Ballet and has accepted a contract with Rogue Dance! Victoria has her own brand of sass and “je ne sais quoi” to every performance! We have enjoyed seeing her grow as a person and a dancer. We know there are great things ahead for Victoria and cannot wait to see what she does next! Below is Victoria from Cinderella, 2019!
We know there are always questions about the company and the commitment to the Nutcracker. We wanted to offer some answers to the most commonly asked questions. If you have questions that aren’t answered here, please reach out AZYB at email@example.com or 602-672-8668.
What is Arizona Youth Ballet?
- We are a pre-professional youth ballet company, begun in 2010.
What is the financial commitment for company?
- The annual company fee is $525 per dancer per dance year. This is not a monthly fee. This covers the classes, costumes and associated performance costs.
What is the financial commitment as a Guest Artist?
- The fee for Nutcracker guest artists is $100. This covers costumes, training and associated performance costs.
Can you only audition for the Company at the beginning of the year?
- AZYB holds mid-year auditions for Company the first week of January. These are held at Impact studio and details will be posted on the website (www.azyb.org) and social media. The Spring show is a company show and guest artist auditions are not held. To perform in the Spring show a dancer must be a member of AZYB.
Is there rehearsal over school breaks?
- Yes, including the weekends at the start and the end of the school break.
Are any absences allowed?
- We understand that family is important. With that, each dancer is allowed two absences. We ask for notice at least 3 weeks in advance. We put out rehearsal schedules two weeks in advance and knowing the dancer absences allows Ms. Christina to plan efficiently for rehearsals.
What is the time commitment to be a member of Arizona Youth Ballet?
- Each level has a different number of classes per week that are required. These are required to ensure the dancer maintains and progresses in their craft. Rehearsals are every Saturday after technique class. Rehearsal time will depend on the roles each dancer is assigned. If a dancer does not have rehearsal, they are not required to be at rehearsals – only class. There will be two dress rehearsals in the studios that are required as well.
What are the class requirements?
- This will depend on the company level for the dancer. The minimum requirements are as follows:
- Principal – minimum of 3 ballet technique classes and 2 pointe classes per week plus Saturday class at Impact Dance with AzYB Artistic Staff.
- Soloist – minimum of 2 ballet technique classes and 2 pointe classes per week plus Saturday Class at Impact Dance with AzYB Artistic Staff.
- Demi-Soloist – minimum of 2 ballet technique classes and 2 pointe classes per week plus Saturday Class at Impact Dance with AzYB Artistic Staff.
- Corps de Ballet – minimum of 2 ballet technique classes per week plus Saturday Class at Impact Dance with AzYB Artistic Staff.
- Coryphee – minimum of 1 ballet technique class per week plus Saturday Class at Impact Dance with AzYB Artistic Staff.
- Apprentice- minimum of 1 ballet technique class per week plus Saturday Class at Impact Dance with AzYB Artistic Staff.
- All levels above Apprentice are further required to take one other form of dance besides classical ballet.
How soon will I learn if I have made the Company or been cast in a role?
- A letter will be sent via email with information about your company audition results. These emails are sent by the Wednesday following auditions. Nutcracker roles are also sent out via email within a week following auditions.
When do rehearsals start and where are they held?
- Rehearsals will begin week following Nutcracker rehearsals. Company class will begin the week following company auditions. Rehearsals are held at Impact Dance on Saturdays.
How do we find out the rehearsal schedule?
- Each family is required to sign up for our “Members only” section on the website. Rehearsal schedules, and all important information, will be posted there. This will include any changes to the schedule. Families are required to check this section and be aware of the schedule. An email will also be sent with any revised schedules and the schedules will be marked as “Revised’.
Where are the performances held? How many performances are there?
- We have residency at the Mesa Community College Performing Arts Center. This is at 1520 S Longmore in Mesa. It can be seen from the US 60. We have three (3) performances of Nutcracker in December and two (2) performances of our Spring ballet. Every Company dancer should expect to dance in each of the performances.
What type of payment forms does AZYB accept?
- AZYB accepts cash, checks and credit cards via Square, as well as Venmo. We can also accept online payments via PayPal in the “Members Only” section of the website.
If I am at the studio and need to make a payment, can I make it with studio staff?
- Impact Dance is a separate business and cannot accept payments on our behalf, just as we cannot accept payments for Impact. If a Board Member is not available to accept your payment, you can make it online via PayPal or call the AZYB business phone at 602-672-8668 and a Board Member will call you back to process your payment with a credit card. Please do not leave credit card information on the voicemail as AZYB cannot be held liable for the security of voicemail. If you need to pay with cash or a check, please do so on Saturday with a Board Member or Ms. Christina.
How do I contact the Board?
- You can reach the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org If your matter is time sensitive, please call or text 602-672-8668.
Arizona Youth Ballet is pleased to announce the performance dates for the 10th Season! The following are our dates and shows – save the date!
The Nutcracker, a family holiday tradition – December 20th at 7:00pm and December 21st at 2:00pm and 7:00pm
Our Spring Celebration will be a wonderful blend of a classic ballet, contemporary and a new classic. We will perform Raymonda, an Original Contemporary Piece and our debut of Firebird! Our dates for this masterpiece will be May 2nd at 7:00pm and May 3rd at 2:00pm
Tickets will be on sale soon on the Performances page of AZYB.org
Save these dates and join us in celebrating our 10th Season!
Something new! Download the forms ahead of time for the auditions and be ready before you got there! These links will open to another window and are printable.
See dates and times below. Also below each poster is the link to the audition form.
We have been remiss. Arizona Youth Ballet alum dancer Cheyenne Yost has been member of CaZo Dance since she left AZYB and we did not properly congratulate her! Cheyenne was a member from early in AZYB’s years and has always been a beautiful dancer who brought such grace and beauty to the our productions. We are so glad she has continued with CaZo Dance and know she will bring grace and joy to their performances as well! Below is Cheyenne as Puss in our 2015 production of Sleeping Beauty.
We have been remiss. Arizona Youth Ballet alum Megan Ayers has been a company member with CaZo dance since leaving AZYB. We should have posted this then to congratulate her on her success! Megan is a beautiful dancer and always brought joy to our patrons. We know she has continued to do so with CaZo and we are so glad she has continued to show her love of the craft! Below is Megan as Dew Drop Fairy in our 2017 production of The Nutcracker.